www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

17-January-2015 (Chris McLaughlin)
17-January-2015 (Chris McLaughlin)

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin / Sandra Brown

The Memorial Hall was originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One and was officially opened on the 3rd April 1927. The hall has undergone extensive renovations. 

An impressive scene was witnessed at Omeo on Sunday afternoon, when the State Governor, Lord Somers, in the presence of a large attendance, officially opened Omeo soldiers' memorial hall and unveiled memorial tablets. Returned soldiers in mufti, under the command of Lieutenant McMillan, formed a guard of honor. They were supported by the first Omeo troop of boy scouts under assistant Scout Master S. T. Ball, and Omeo girl guides under Captain Pearson. Accompanying the party, were Mr. Lind, M.L.A.; Sir J. Barrett, president of the historic memorials committee; Mr. F. Tate, Director of Education; Mr. H. O. Allen, under secretary for lands; Mr. A. S. Kenyan, engineer for water supply; Mr. C. Daley, secretary, of the historic memorial committee. Mr. H. Hansford, Lands department; Mr.C.R. Long, Education department.

The Governor was met by the president of the shire, Cr. W. J. Soutter, and councillors and leading townsmen in the municipal chambers before entering the hall. Mr.H. G. Marsden, chairman of the hall trustees, presided. The memorial tablets contain the names of 225 district soldiers who fought in the war, 49 paying the supreme sacrifice. Lord Somers stressed the need for Empire unity, and expressed the hope that the means and spirit of comradeship existing during the  war would be carried into the fields of peace. Wherever their lost ones were lying in France, Palestine or Egypt there would be a little bit of Australia to remain Australian for all time.
Age (Melbourne), 5 April 1927.

Location

Address:179 Day Avenue (Great Alpine Road), Omeo, 3898
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.100791
Long: 147.591515
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 7th May, 1926
Front Inscription

Soldiers Memorial Hall

Plaque:
SHIRE OF OMEO
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HALL
This Stone Was Laid By
W. GREENWOOD
PRESIDENT OMEO BRANCH RSL
7th MAY 1926

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design