Volunteer Defence Corps Memorial Print Page
The Volunteer Defence Corps Memorial commemorates those who served in World War Two.
The Volunteer Defence Corps (VDC) was an Australian part-time volunteer military force of World War Two modelled on the British Home Guard. The VDC was established in July 1940 by the Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL) and was initially composed of ex-servicemen who had served in World War One.
Following the outbreak of the Pacific War, the Government expanded the VDC in February 1942. Membership was open to men aged between 18 and 60, including those working in reserved occupations. As a result, the VDC reached a peak strength of almost 100,000 in units across Australia.
As the perceived threat to Australia declined the VDC's role changed from static defence to operating anti-aircraft artillery, coastal artillery and searchlights. Members of inland VDC units were freed from having to attend regular training in May 1944 and the VDC was officially disbanded on 24 August 1945.
|Address:||64 Pacific Highway, Roseville RSL , Roseville, 2069|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.785654|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2015|