www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Woodsdale Community Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

09-March-2014
09-March-2014

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

Woodsdale Community Memorial Hall was dedicated as a war memorial in memory of those who served.

Woodsdale people have vested their public hall in the Oatlands Council to obtain a Government war memorial grant. Members of the Oatlands Council discussed the proposal with Woodsdale residents. The Hall Committee had applied to the Government for £200 on a £ for £ basis to enlarge the hall as a war memorial. The Warden (Mr. A. R. Fisher) said the hall would have to be vested in the council as Government money could not be paid to a private concern. The council was not anxious to assume responsibility for the hall, but would take it over so financial assistance could be obtained. The council would only be the nominal owners. A local committee would be in charge.
The Mercury (Hobart), 20th May 1950.

A new supper room, at the Woodsdale hall was opened by the Warden of Oatlands (Mr. A. R. Fisher) at a function in the hall on Saturday night. The new room is part of the war memorial plan for the hall. It is planned to hold the official opening of the hall as a war memorial in conjunction with the unveiling of an honour roll, when all improvements to the hall have been completed.
The Mercury (Hobart), 3rd November 1952.

Location

Address:2310 Woodsdale Road, Woodsdale, 7120
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.470624
Long: 147.571549
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Front Inscription
Woodsdale Community Memorial Hall
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design