Lone Pine MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

Tree commemorates the men and women who have died or been killed in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved.

The Lone Pine was the name given to a solitary tree on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, which marked the site of the Battle of Lone Pine in 1915 during World War One and it was the sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches.

The tree was obliterated during the battle; however, pine cones that had remained attached to the cut branches over the trenches were retrieved by two Australian soldiers and brought home to Australia. Private Thomas Keith McDowell, a soldier of the 23rd battalion brought a pine cone from the battle site back to Australia, and many years later seeds from the cone were planted by his wife's aunt Emma Gray of Grassmere, near Warrnambool, Victoria and five seedlings emerged, with four surviving. These seedlings were planted in four different locations in Victoria: Wattle Park (May 8, 1933), the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne (June 11, 1933), the Soldiers Memorial Hall at The Sisters near Terang (June 18, 1933) and Warrnambool Botanic Gardens (January 23, 1934).

The Shrine of Remembrance's lone pine was felled in August 2012 and the timber used as part of a remembrance project, after a disease known as Diplodia pinea or blue stains fungus as it commonly called killed it.

Another soldier, Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith from the 3rd Battalion, also retrieved a cone and sent it back to his mother (Mrs McMullen) in Australia, who had lost another son at the battle. Seeds from the cone were planted by Mrs McMullen in 1928, from which two seedlings were raised. One was presented to her home town of Inverell (New South Wales) and the other was forwarded to Canberra where it was planted by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester at the Australian War Memorial in October 1934.

Melbourne Legacy and the Yarralumla Nursery in Canberra have grown seedlings sourced from the trees at the Shrine of Remembrance and the Australian War Memorial respectively, which they have presented to schools as well as ex-service and other organisations throughout Australia.


Address:Lower Domain Road, Queens Domain, Hobart, 7000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.869581
Long: 147.331831
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 15th August, 1995
Front Inscription

This tree was planted on the 15 August 1995 by the Rt. Hon. The Lord Mayor of Hobart, Alderman Doone Kennedy (as State Chairman of "Australia Remembers 1945 - 1995"), following the "Victory in the Pacific Day" service.

The tree was planted to honour the men and women of Australia who gave their lives for their country.

It is a Pinus halepensis (Aleppo Pine), propagated from a tree growing at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, and was donated by Mr Stephen Mucha.

The original tree at the Australian War Memorial was planted in 1934, having been grown from the seed collected on Lone Pine Ridge, Gallipoli, by L/Cl Benjamin SMith in 1915.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design