Eric Joseph Foote War Memorial SanctuaryPrint Page
Eric Joseph Foote War Memorial Sanctuary commemorates the loyalty and sacrifice of the Buderim people who lost their lives in World War One and World War Two. The land was donated to the Buderim Community by Arnold and Hubert Foote and named the the Eric Joseph Foote Park in memory of their brother who was killed on the Somme in France on September 13th, 1916.
The land on which the site sits was purchased by Joseph Foote in 1903. In 1948, Joseph's sons Arnold and Hubert donated seventeen and a half acres of the land to the Buderim Centre for the creation of the park. The park was surveyed and named in honour of their brother Eric Joseph Foote. The Buderim Community Centre, now named the Buderim War Memorial Community Association, asked the Maroochy Shire Council to take over trusteeship of the land which they did in 1948. The Council did not accept any financial responsibility regarding improvements or maintenance.
In 1958, the Council proposed selling the land due to lack of public interest. Outrage was expressed at community meetings over the proposal and in 1963 the Eric Foote War Memorial Sanctuary Association was formed and with Council approval took over the management and development of the land.
|Address:||Park Lane, Buderim, 4556|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.6777757|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1948|
ERIC JOSEPH FOOTE WAR MEMORIAL SANCTUARY
LEST WE FORGET
ERIC JOSEPH FOOTE
WAR MEMORIAL SANCTUARY ASSOCIATION
This section of post and rail fence came from the historic old Queensland home of Dr Hugh Kirkland Shaw named "Marimba" on Orme Road, Buderim.
In this home the Initial Exploratory Meeting of Foote Sanctuary Pioneers was held on 9th. August, 1963