The Aboriginal Memorial (Poles Memorial )Print Page
The Aboriginal Memorial is an installation of 200 hollow log coffins (burial poles) from Central Arnhem Land. It commemorates all the indigenous people who, since 1788, have lost their lives defending their land. The artists who created this installation intended that it be located in a public place where it could be preserved for future generations.
It was conceived by Djon (John) Mundine in 1987-88 and realised by 43 artists from Ramingining and neighbouring communities of Central Arnhem Land, in the Northern Territory. Artists who participated in its creation included David Malangi and George Milpurrurru. The work was created to coincide with the Australian Bicentenary and commemorates those Indigenous Australians who died as a result of European settlement.
It was acquired by the National Gallery of Australia, where it is on permanent display. Its first exhibition was at the Sydney Biennale in 1988, and it was the centrepiece of an exhibition of Indigenous art at Russia's Hermitage Museum in 2000. As of 2014 it stands at the entry to the National Gallery's new building that opened in September 2010.
|Address:||Parkes Place, National Gallery , Parkes, 2600|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.300278|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Ramingining artists|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|