New South Wales Field Battery Memorial PlaquePrint Page
A plaque commemorates members of the New South Wales Field Battery which served in the Sudan Conflict in 1885.
Monument characteristics :
A circular brass memorial plaque with Maltese Cross cut out inside the perimeter. At the centre of the cross is a small image of an artillery piece. Veterans' names and dedications are inscribed and coloured black with some red.
The church parade of the metropolitan district forces was held yesterday on the occasion of the unveiling of a tablet erected in St Andrew's Cathedral by the members of the New South Wales field battery which served in the Soudan in 1885, in memory of their comrades who died during the expedition. The artillery branch of the contingent lost four of its members. The first death among the Australians was that of a private in the infantry, who was one of the first to be buried in the new cemetery erected just outside the walls of Suakim, when the old burial ground on the shore of the harbour to the north became a danger to the health of the camp. The new cemetery soon became lined with rows of graves, and among them was that of Gunner Lewis of the New South Wales Artillery. Shortly after this the Contingent left for home, but it left some of its number in its track. The troops assembled in the Outer Domain at about 2 in the afternoon and marched thence by the Bent-street gate, via Macquarie-street, King-street, and George street, to the cathedral.
The unveiling of the tablet affixed to one of the side walls opened the service, the removal of the Union Jack being performed by Major-General Richardson. The fall of the flag disclosed a round brass shield about 24in. diameter, with the inscription engraved and filled in with black and red. A garter round the outside bears the words " New South Wales Field Battery Soudan, l885. " In the centre is a maltese cross bearing on its upper and two side points the names of the deceased — Captain Willows, veterinary surgeon: Driver J. Robertson, Gunners T. Coburne, E Lewis; and on the bottom one the following inscription -"Erected by the officers, non-commissioned officers, gunners, drivers, and trumpeters of the Field Battery of New South Wales Artillery Soudan, 1885." The service was then commenced with the hymn, "Onward Christian soldiers. " At the end of the prayers the choir song the anthem " In Jewry is God known."
Excerpt from Sydney Morning Herald, 27 February 1888.
|Address:||George & Bathurst Streets, St Andrews Cathedral, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.874006|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th February, 1888|
NEW SOUTH WALES FIELD BATTERY SOUDAN 1885.
of the Field Battery