Pensioner Guard MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates those who served with the Enrolled Pensioner Force and settled around Lake Coogee in 1876. The men were entitled to a free land grant after they had served for seven years.
Differing sized land allocations were made to the Enrolled Military Pensioners ranging from a half to five acres with many country blocks ranging from fourteen to twenty acres. Originally the men were given a gratuity of £10 with the use of convict labour but by 1853 this amount had been increased to £15 and could include tools and seeds. This gratuity was not without strings attached both for period of employment in the Enrolled Pensioner Force and personal behaviour of Enrolled Military Pensioner and family. Conditions were also attached to the distribution of land and dwellings - these conditions changed throughout the period of transportation and for those men from the 'Naval Brigade' who were eligible for land grants after 1874. (Information supplied by Sue Baddeley)
A settlement for the Pensioners was established near Lake Coogee in 1876, and ruins of two stone cottages from this time still survive along with a well on the shore of the lake. This location was chosen as it lay on the main route from Fremantle to Albany, but was never popular and although a few cottages, gardens, and orchards were established the settlement did not flourish. Pensioner Guards John Hyland, James Cunningham, and John Gilbride were involved in this settlement which existed until 1885.
The Pensioner Guards (also known as the Enrolled Pensioner Force and after 1880 as the Enrolled Guards) consisted of those soldiers who came as guards on the convict ships which transported nearly 10,000 prisoners to Western Australia in the years 1850-1868. The number of soldiers, along with their wives and children totalled some 2,500. Many of them remained on as settlers after they had completed their military duty. They had served in China, the Crimea, South Africa, India, Persia, New Zealand and Afghanistan and were awarded pensions for long service and good conduct, wounds or meritorious service. After arrival they could continue with military duty or remain as settlers. After serving seven years in the Enrolled Pensioner Force they were eligible to a free land grant.
The chief source of information on the Pensioner Guards is F.H. Broomhall's The Veterans (355.31 BRO). In the compilation of the book newspapers, Colonial Secretary’s Office, Lands and Surveys and War Office records were used.
Information sourced from State Library of Western Australia.
|Address:||McGrath Road, Pensioner Guards Site, Lake Coogee, Munster, 6166|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.141783|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Danka Schulz (mosaic)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Carlos Castro -wall (stonemason)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 10th June, 2005|
In Commemoration of
The Men of the
Enrolled Pensioner Force
Site of the Lake Koojee Village
(map of village)
Erected and Dedicated by
Enrolled Pensioner Guard
Special Interest Group
WA Genealogical Society Inc
City of Cockburn