Centenary of Mark VII GunsPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the installation of the Mark VII guns at Fort Scratchley in 1811.
The strategic importance of a hilltop overlooking the harbour was recognised as early as 1804, and by 1828 an earthen battery was constructed and equipped with seven guns. In 1876, with fears of Russian attack, the British Government sent Major General Sir William Jervois and Lieutenant Colonel Peter Scratchley to advise on naval defences. Under the direction of Jervois and Scratchley, Colonial Architect James Barnet oversaw construction of the Fort. It was designed around a battery of three guns facing eastward in an arc to the ocean, with other guns covering the harbour to north and west. The gun emplacements were cut into the top of the hill to present a low profile to attack
|Address:||Nobbys Road, Fort Scratchley Historic Site, Newcastle East, 2300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.926213|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 13th November, 2011|
This plaque was unveiled by
Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO
Sunday 13 November 2011
Commemorating the 100th anniversary of installation
of the 6" Mark VII guns at Fort Scratchley.
These guns returned fire during a World War Two attack by a Japanese submarine on 8 June 1942.
Bill Hopkins Cr John S Tate
President Lord Mayor of Newcastle
Fort Scratchley Historical Society