Transvaal Square Print Page
Transvaal Square was dedicated to the memory of those who served in the Boer War.
A Peace Celebration committee was formed in Geelong in June 1900 and it was at their suggestion that vacant land near the Eastern Beach, between Yarra and Bellerine Streets, should be converted into a memorial reserve. A suitable name for the new reserve was suggested as Transvaal Square. The proposal won immediate support and J. A. Dawson was appointed as Hon. Secretary. Public subscriptions were called for the Transvaal War Memorial Fund but public opinion in favour of a Queen Victoria bronze statue took over so the Square was formed into an attractive reserve.
The History of Geelong & Corio Bay, by W. R. Brownhill
|Address:||Eastern Beach Road, Geelong, 3220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.145761|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1899|
|Actual Event End Date:||1902|