First Australian Horse Centenary MemorialPrint Page
Memorial commemorates the centenary of the muster of the 1st Australian Horse.
The raising of this famous Australian Regiment was due to the vision and untiring efforts of the enthusiastic Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth Mackay who, as a Captain, obtained permission from the New South Wales Government to travel the country districts with a view of enlisting the best horsemen in the Colony into his Regiment, the 1st Australian Horse.
The first enrolments took place at Murrumburrah on 28 August 1897 and by 20th November, recruiting throughout the country districts was completed with 3,000 eager applicants ready and willing to join the Regiment. Detachments were formed at Murrumburrah, Gunnedah, Gundagai, Quirindi, Mudgee, Scone, Michelago, Boggabri, Cootamundra, Braidwood, Lue, Wallendbeen and Bungendore. When the Boer War broke out, the 1st Australian Horse sent two contingents to South Africa, where they served as a cavalry squadron.
|Address:||Albury Street (Burley Griffin Way) & Station Street, Newson Park, Harden, 2587|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.555317|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 30th August, 1997|
1897 - 1997
IN 1897 CAPTAIN MACKAY
OF WALLENDBEEN RAISED A TROOP OF
EXPERIENCED COUNTRY HORSEMEN AS VOLUNTEERS
THE VERY FIRST ENROLMENT TOOK PLACE
NEAR THIS LOCATION ON AUGUST 28TH 1897,
60 MEN FORMED THE LOCAL HALF
SQUADRON OF WHAT WAS TO BE CALLED
THE FIRST AUSTRALIAN HORSE.
CENTENARY OF THE MUSTER WAS CELEBRATED
HERE ON AUGUST 30TH 1997.