South African War MemorialPrint Page
Tall obelisk with a tower with a cross and metal framework and a relief of a soldier commemorating the 65 local men who served in the South African War.
The memorial pays tribute to the seven St Kilda men who lost their lives in, and the fifty eight local soldiers who fought in, the South African War.
The movement for the erection of the South African War Memorial was initiated by Councillor O`Donnell. In September 1902 a public meeting was called and a committee was formed to oversee the project. A campaign began to raise the necessary funds for the erection of the memorial.
The community raised 250 pounds through fetes, subscriptions and entertainments. The council was approached for approval to locate the memorial in Alfred Square where a drinking fountain already existed. Council agreed on condition that the drinking fountain be incorporated into the design.
|Address:||Esplanade & Albert Street, Alfred Square, St Kilda, 3182|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.865556|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||11-October-1899|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-May-1902|
|Monument Designer:||Haddon & Peck (designers) Charles Douglas Richardson (sculptor)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1905|
Erected by the citizens of St Kilda in honor of the sixty-five brave soldiers who went from St Kilda to fight the Empire`s battles in South Africa