Boer War MemorialPrint Page
The memorial commemorates those who served in the South African (Boer) War.
Monument characteristics :
Monument has four pillars with cannons on either side. It also incorporates the columns and stone from the portico of the old Parramatta Court House. The broken pillar in the centre of the monument signifies "life broken short" to remember the lives lost in the war.
The ceremony of dedicating and unveiling the district soldiers' memorial, which has been erected in an imposing position in the Parramatta Park, took place on Saturday afterrnoon in the presence of a large gathering. The function was performed by Colonel Burns. Amongst those present were Ven. Archdeacon Gunther, the Revs J. Paterson, and J. Worboys, Mr. W. Noller (Mayor of Parramatta), Mr. Joseph Cook M.P., Mr T. R. Moxham, M.L.A., Mr Edward Terry, M.L.A., and many prominent ladies and gentlemen of the district. The Parramatta Squadron of Lancers, under Lieutenant-Colonel Cox, C.B., A Company of Infantry under Captain Guyott, and some 500 Public School Cadets, were present, as also was the Lancer Band, under Bandmaster Watters. Colonel Burns, who was accompanied by Major Hilliard, D.S.O., and Lieutenant Burns arrived with a Lancer escort at about 3.45 p.m., and was received with the general salute.
Colonel Burns then unveiled the monument and asked those returned soldiers who were present to come forward. Some dozen or so, under Colonel-Cox, stepped forward, amid the applause of those assembled, and Colonel Burns called for three cheers for the veterans. The cheers were heartily given, Colonel Cox, in a few words, acknowledging the compliment on behalf of himself and his comrades.
The memorial, which occupies a prominent position near the site of the observatory obelisk, which marks the
position of the first observatory in Australia, is of the Grecian Doric of architecture. Four noble columns support a pedestal, on which is to be placed a pom-pom from South Africa, in the centre of the four columns is a structure with four marble slabs, on which are inscribed the names of the fallen soldiers. This is surmounted by a broken column.
Excerpt from Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 25 April 1904.
|Address:||Railway Parade & Long Avenue, Parramatta Park, Parramatta, 2150|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.811623|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||11-October-1899|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-May-1902|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 23rd April, 1904|
PARRAMATTA and DISTRICT