Transvaal AvenuePrint Page
Transvaal Avenue was planted in memory of British and Colonial successes in the Boer war and in memory of those who served.
The planting of the original Transvaal Avenue stemmed from the local communities desire to both beautify its main park, and to provide a permanent memento of the British and Colonial successes in the Boer War. Over 200 men of the Maitland District had served in the Boer war, and the area was the base for “D” troop of the NSW Lancers.
In particular, it was an allied victory at Mafeking that led to the establishment of the Transvaal Avenue. A celebration of the victory was attended by over 20,000 people in Maitland Park. The Avenue was officially opened on August 31, 1900 when 107 trees were planted, and each tree was named for generals of the Boer War, battlefields and victories. However, over the years, the Avenue diminished in size with only 15 of the original 1900 plantings remaining.
In 2004 a conservation project was undertaken involving the reinstatement of 25 Avenue plantings, the completion of a detailed conservation study on the Avenue, the erection of interpretive signage in addition to the restoration of the remaining Boer War memorial. Further plantings are taking place in order to reinstate the avenue to its original state.
TRANSVAAL AVENUE. The ceremony of planting trees in the Transvaal Avenue, West Maitland Park, in commemoration of the successes of the British and colonial forces in South Africa, will be performed this afternoon, when addresses will be delivered by the Mayor, Colonel Wilkinson, Messrs. John Gillies and J. N. Brunker, Ms.P. The Mayor will plant the first tree, and the others will be planted by the Mayoress, the aldermen and their wives, and the members of the committee and their wives. The Federal Band will be in attendance. Mr. E. P. Capper, chairman of the executive committee, and Mrs. Capper will entertain at afternoon tea those ladies and gentlemen who take part in the tree-planting. The executive committee cordially invite the people of the town to be present at the function.
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),
31 August 1900.
|Address:||Elgin Street, Maitland Park , Maitland, 2320|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.740758|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||11-October-1899|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-May-1902|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 31st August, 1900|