Boer War RotundaPrint Page
A band rotunda in Central Park commemorates the volunteers from the district who fought in the South African (Boer) War.
Armidale is as patriotic as any other portion of the State of New South Wales, and showed her patriotism by sending a fair quota of men with the Contingents that took part in the war in South Africa. In order to perpetuate the memory of the gallant deeds of her sons in the Boer War, Armidale decided to erect a band rotunda in Central Park as a memorial. The official opening of the rotunda was fixed for March 17, and attracted a large concourse of people. The number of spectators was greatly increased by the fact that, later in the day, the Irish National Association would hold its annual sports gathering. A procession started from the centre of the town headed by the Royal Australian Artillery Band, which came from Sydney for the purpose.
Arrived at the park, it was seen that the rotunda was covered entirely. Mrs. P. J. White touched a button, and immediately the covering ran up to the top of the rotunda. The members of "J" Company fired a feu-de-joie, and then fixed bayonets while the band played the "National Anthem." Mrs. White then declared the rotunda open, and the usual speeches followed. The structure is octagonal in shape, 20ft wide in the clear, with an iron roof that projects 4ft. It has a brick base, 4ft 6in high, the roof being supported by iron columns, between which is an elaborate iron palisade. The ceiling is 11ft from the concrete floor, which is reached by a series of slate steps.
At the bottom of the latter there are two piers one on either side-into which are set marble shields bearing the names of the local soldiers who went to South Africa, and in whose honor the rotunda has been erected. The manner in which the work has been carried out reflects the utmost credit upon the contractor (Mr. R. Moffatt) and his staff. Upon the inner shield of the right-hand pier as you enter the structure appears the inscription:- "This rotunda was erected in honor of the Armidale men who served in the South African war. Unveiled by Mrs. P. J. White, March 17, 1902."
Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW ), 29th March 1902.
|Address:||Barney Street, Central Park, Armidale, 2350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.516437|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||11-October-1899|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-May-1902|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr R. Moffatt (Builder)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 17th March, 1902|
(Tablet on rotunda )
MEMBERS OF AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH HORSE ENROLLED AT ARMIDALE FOR ACTIVE SERVICE IN SOUTH AFRICA 1902
(plaque 1 )
(plaque 1 )
THIS ROTUNDA Was Erected In Honour Of The Armidale Men Who Served In The South African War
Unveiled By MRS F. J. WHITE
March 17, 1902