|Latitude:||-33 25 04.2|
|Longitude:||+149 34 45.2|
Figurative group contains the statue of Evans and commemorates the discovery of the Bathurst Plains by him in 1813 and perpetuates his memory. The foundation stone for the memorial was laid on the 19th November 1913 during Bathurst's centenary celebrations and the memorial was unveiled by the Governor Sir Walter Davidson on 30th November 1920.The memorial was floodlit by Woolworths to commemorate Bathurst's 150th anniversary in 1963.
Gregory Blaxland, William Wentworth and William Lawson became the first Europeans to find a way across the Blue Mountains in May 1813 which resulted in settlement beyond the Cumberland Plains. However, it was surveyor George Evans who crossed the main range later that year.
During the trek he camped on the future townsite of Bathurst and made a favourable report of the country he saw. Evans named the Macquarie River after Governor Lachlan Macquarie and the Bathurst Plains after Lord Bathurst, the British secretary of state for the colonies. Standing bronze monument of Evans flanked by a kneeling aboriginal shading his eyes, both gazing to the horizon. There is an enclosed frieze of Evans, Blaxland, Lawson, and Wentworth.
Commemorating the discovery by Evans of the Bathurst Plains and the opening of the West 1813.
This stone was laid by His Excellency Sir Gerald Strickland G.C.M.C. Governor of N.S.W November 19. 1913.
THIS MEMORIAL BEEN FLOODLIT BY THE COURTESY OF WOOLWORTHS LTD. TO COMMEMORATE BATHURST'S 150TH ANNIVERSARY.