Ludwig LeichhardtPrint Page
Monument commemorates the 175th anniversary of Ludwig Leichhardt who was the first European into the area.
Leichhardt not only passed through Taroom but actually carved his initials in the old coolibah tree which stands right in the middle of the main street. On this tree, on his dubious and ill-fated expedition from Jimbour to Port Essington, Leichhardt carved `L L 44` (Ludwig Leichhardt 1844). Leichhardt, when he did finally get back to Sydney in early 1846, declared the countryside around Taroom was magnificent and, within months, there was a grab for land.
|Address:||Yaldwyn Street (Leichhardt Highway), Ludwig Leichhardt Park, Taroom, 4420|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.640813|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Fred & Anne Gardiner|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 23rd October, 1988|
The Taroom Historical Society
And The Taroom And Wandoan District
To Celebrate The Bi-Centenary
Unveiled 23rd October 1988
To Mark The 175th Anniversary